After tasting it for the first time, I decided that I was going to find out this recipe and try to make it myself. It is a bit time consuming, however, it's worth it! I am sharing the recipe with all of you so that you too can enjoy the sweet soft goodness of Mallorca Sweet Bread.
PREP TIME: 4 Hours
COOK TIME: 15 Minutes
- 1 cup Milk, Lukewarm
- 1 cup Water, Lukewarm
- 1 envelope Dry Yeast
- ¾ cups Sugar
- 5 cups Flour, Divided 1 And 4
- 6 whole Egg Yolks
- 2 sticks Butter, Melted And Cooled To Lukewarm
1. In a mixing bowl, pour lukewarm milk and water, sprinkle yeast in add sugar and 1 cup of the flour. Set aside until the mixture starts to rise about 45 minutes.
2. Beat the egg yolks into the mixture, blending very well. Add the remaining flour little by little. Add 1/2 the melted butter and set aside until it has doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3. Dust the board where the dough will be rolled out with a little flour to prevent dough from sticking. Divide dough into 12 equal portions.
4. Roll out each portion, brush with butter and roll into a long strip. Form into a coil, insert the inner end making sure it’s tucked in, same with the other end of the roll. Butter the top.
5. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rolls rise until they have doubled in size.
6. Bake at 375 degrees F about 12-15 minutes. Cool on cooling rack and dust with powdered sugar.